Borough of Pitman
Santa Parade Rules
It is the intent of the Pitman Parade Committee to organize parades which are enjoyable family experiences for all ages, but especially children. Therefore, we have made safety our primaryconcern. The following rules and related information have been developed so that each parade will be safe forboth participants and spectators. Please do your part to help us make our parade both the safest and the best in South Jersey.
By submitting a parade application, the applicant agrees that they:
1) Have read the parade rules and regulations including parade float safety attachments.
2) Will notify ALL members of their entry/group of these rules prior to the parade, and
3) Will be the single point of contact for the entry/group and will assume responsibility for the conduct of ALL of the entry/group's participants.
4) Are 18 years of age or older.
5) Shall indemnify, save harmless and defend the Borough, its elected and appointed officials, its employees, agents, volunteers and others working on behalf of the Borough, from and against any and all claims, losses, costs, attorney's fees, damages, or injury including death and/or property loss, expense claims or demands arising out of or caused or alleged to have been caused in any manner by their participation in the parade.
All applications must be signed and submitted by an adult.
All minors participating in the parade must be accompanied by a responsible adult.
Youth Group Applications may only be submitted by the organization sponsoring the entry. Applications made by persons without the authorization of the sponsoring organization are invalid and will be rejected.
Youth Groups shall be accompanied by a responsible adult who has been designated as the legal representative of the organization sponsoring the entry. The responsible adult shall be required to furnish proof of his/her status as the designated legal representative on demand at the request of the Parade Committee.
All animals in the parade must be listed on the entry application. All animals should have updated vaccinations, be in good medical health and be able to cope with crowds, other animals, the prevailing weather, and the distance of the parade. The entry/group is responsible for the immediate removal of animal waste generated by the animals associated with the entry/group. The area is expected to be as clean as you found it. This includes the pre- and post-parade areas as well as the parade route. Please remember, other parade participants will be following your entry on foot.
- Participants riding in vehicles or on trailers must provide their own vehicles and drivers. Insurance and liability are the sole responsibility of participants.
- The operation of Motor Vehicles on streets that are closed for the parade will be suspended for the duration of parade activity on that street, excluding parade motor vehicle entries.
All drivers and vehicles must obey all NJ DMV and NJ DOT regulations. Drivers must also possess a valid
driver's license and vehicles must have insurance as required by the State of New Jersey
All Motor Vehicle occupants must be within the passenger compartment of that vehicle. No one is allowed to
ride on the running board, hood, roof, trunk or fender of a moving vehicle.
- Riding participants will not be permitted to jump off or climb onto any units/entries while the parade is in progress.
Support vehicles for marching units (i.e. buses, tractor trailers) will not be allowed in the parade.
- All parade float entries must comply with the Parade Float General Safety Rules and Regulations.
- All bicycle riders must wear helmets.
- All horse riders must wear helmets
No motorcycles are permitted.
All units must proceed at a slow parade pace. No accelerating, skidding, or sudden braking will be allowed. All tires of
vehicles and bicycles must remain in contact with the road surface at all times.
Everyone must proceed in a forward motion at all times. Maintain a uniform distance from the unit in front of you. The distance between telephone poles (approximately 100 feet.) should be the maximum distance between two units. No unit may stop for the purpose of performing, entertaining etc. All units are required to close the gap between units when ordered by Parade Officials. Do not stop unless directed to do so by Parade Officials or Police Officers.
Please do not delay the parade!
- If you have a mechanical problem, please move to the right side of the street and allow the parade to resume. For
assistance, please locate a Police Officer or Parade Official along the route.
- NO SIRENS may be activated during the parade for entertainment purposes. Sirens shall only be activated in an
emergency. WHEN SIRENS ARE ACTIVATED, please move immediately to the RIGHT side of the street and stop until all emergency vehicles have passed. If the frivolous use of sirens occurs, violators will be prohibited
from participating in future parades.
Be considerate of other parade entries and restrain from loud horn blowing or other loud noises, which may startle parade animals and small children, or interfere with bands and other musical entertainment.
For safety reasons, NO OBJECTS ARE TO BE THROWN. Throwing of candy, gifts or any other object is prohibited.
Shooting spectators with Silly String, water (super soakers, etc.) or any other object is prohibited. Distribution of candy or other items to spectators should be conducted by someone from your group who must walk along the curb and distribute it HAND-TO-HAND. The distribution of candy or other items must not delay the parade or draw spectators into the street, as this is very dangerous.
Under no circumstances shall any participant, unit or entry move to a different position within the parade line-up, before or during the parade,except at the direction of a Parade Official.
No consumption of alcoholic beverages or any controlled substances will be allowedduring the Parade or in any pre-parade or post-parade areas.
No unit other than the float designated by the Parade
Committee as the "Official Santa Float," may have any individuals dressed as
Santa, Mrs. Santa or Santa-Like figures or representations thereof.
These rules are subject to change on short notice. Advance notice will be given appropriately. The Pitman Police Department and the Pitman Parade Committee Officials are in charge of each parade. They reserve the right to accept, reject, reclassify, disqualify, remove from the parade or suspend from participation any unit which does not cooperate, follow the Parade
Rules, the laws of the Borough of Pitman, State of New Jersey or the decisions and directions of the Parade Officials.
Violators may also be prohibited from participating in future parades.
Should be appropriate for children
- Participate at the discretion of the Pitman Parade Committee.
- Must line up in the space they are assigned
- Must have the application delivered to the Parade Committee by November 10, 2017. No new applications, or changes to
existing applications, will be permitted after this date....NO EXCEPTIONS!
THANK YOU TO ALL who have prepared entries for this year's parade and past parades. Pitman's parades would not be possible without all of your efforts. WE DO APPRECIATE ALL OF YOUR EFFORTS!
THANK YOU FOR HELPING US PROVIDE A FUN AND SAFE FAMILY ATMOSPHERE.
GENERAL SAFETY RULES AND REGULATIONS
Use of Gasolinepowered Generators: Consideration shall be given to the use and placement of power generators so as not to create a fire hazard. Fuel tanks for the power generators should be topped off prior to arrival at the staging area. The storage of portable gas cans on the float is not allowed. Open flame devices, fireworks, candles, etc.:
The use of open flame devices is prohibited.
Use of Decorative Lighting:
Lighting and strand decorative fixtures are to be UL approved and rated for outdoor use. Consideration should be given to the attachment locations to the float or decorative structure to prevent the possibility of an electrical shock or a
short circuit occurring. Consideration should also be given to the wattage and type of light fixture and its proximity to combustible materials.
The use of smoking materials on the float is prohibited.
Portable Fire Protection:
Each float is required to have a portable fire extinguisher readily available. The size of the fire extinguisher is dependent on the size of the float. Small floats - defined as LESS THAN THREE HUNDRED (300) square feet in size - are required to have a TWO & ONE HALF (2 ½) pound (1A-10BC rated) dry chemical fire extinguisher. Larger floats - defined as THREE HUNDRED (300) square feet or larger in size - may be required to have a FIVE (5) pound(2A-108C rated) fire extinguisher.
Float decorations can vary based on parade theme and seasonal objectivity. Consideration should be given to the type of materials being used, its placement on the float and its flammability. Fire retardant materials should be used where possible. In some cases, a spray-on fire retardant application may be necessary to provide fire protection. Contact the Fire Marshall at 856-589-3522 if there is a question concerning the use of decorations.